MBCI-NCI Building Systems - 6S Champion
Standard Position Description
Job Title: 6S/Continuous Improvement Champion
Reports To: Plant Manager Salary Exempt: No
Approved By: VP Manufacturing Date Approved: 8/29/2017
This is a CONTROLLED Document. The official version of this document is contained on the network server. Any documents appearing in printed form are considered to be uncontrolled copies. All uncontrolled copies should be compared to the version located on the server, prior to use.
The primary focus of the 6S/Continuous Improvement Champion is to drive and support a culture of safety and continuous improvement. Working with all designated manufacturing teams to constantly strive to improve the safety and quality culture, identify and eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, and reduce cost via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies. This position will focus on the value stream’s performance improvements with the goal to yield zero accidents, defect free products, on time delivery and an exceptional customer experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Commitment to our behavioral based safety program.
- Together with the facility leadership and corporate safety teams, formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company and plant personnel in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Administer and sustain the facility 6S program for optimal workplace organization and safety.
- Communicate regularly with facility leadership team, operations teams, and other continuous improvement leaders.
- Inspects designated manufacturing operations to identify existing or potential accident, health and environmental concerns and initiates corrective or preventative measures where needed.
- Actively participate in and/or lead process improvements to promote cross-functional ideas and solutions.
- Participates in the investigation of safety incidents and quality and service issues.
- Provide training and coaching to all operations team members on the practice of the Lean principles of waste identification and reduction and safe work behaviors as defined by corporate Safety and CI leadership.
- Coordinate the completion of Safety and 6S audits and maintain their respective logs.
- Maintain Safety and 6S training materials and records.
- Maintains/updates SDS sheets.
- Support ideas and/or concepts for automation through Value Steam Mapping CI events.
- Constantly seeks, shares and implements best practices.
Environmental Impacts of this Position:
The 6S/CI Champion has the responsibility of avoiding environmental impacts such as; the release of: oils, grease from forklifts and cranes, solvents, paints and various other chemicals by accidental puncture, while performing daily duties. Recycle all recyclable materials such as: paper, cardboard, ink cartridges etc. Caution must to be taken to avoid spills and good housekeeping practices are essential as a preventative measure. If a spill occurs, follow NCI’s Spill Response, Log and Report Procedure.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2+ years in a leadership capacity
Knowledge of OSHA Standards and Regulations, preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication ability
Ability to read and comprehend documents including: OSHA and EPA standards, product drawings, safety policies and procedures, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
The ability to present and communicate information to other employees in group settings
Spanish proficiency a plus
Ability to, calculate figures and amounts such as fractions and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions that are furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Also, the ability to solve problems that involve multiple variables in a standard situation.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Proficiency in Microsoft Office/computer skills
Required to use power hand tools
Required to drive a forklift and operate overhead cranes
Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines
Ability to work with a diversified workforce
Offers of employment contingent upon passing a substance abuse screening test and/or criminal background check
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance. The employee will be required to lift a maximum weight of 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
Before initiating work in NCI Manufacturing, the employee is required to read and understand the position’s Job Safety Analysis. Employee must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and perform tasks in a manner consistent with NCI’s safety training, the NCI Employee Manual and OSHA regulations.