Blue River Community Foundation’s Summer Scholarship Application Cycle
Shelby County high school students on track to graduate by June 30, 2023, can now apply for
scholarships during Blue River Community Foundation’s (BRCF) summer scholarship cycle. Students applying during this cycle are considered for both the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship and BRCF administered scholarship opportunities. Applicants must meet the minimum eligibility requirements (listed below) for Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship consideration; however, all students are encouraged to apply for over 175 scholarships awarded annually through BRCF’s Scholarship Program.
The deadline to apply is September 1, 2022.
Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program
Blue River Community Foundation (BRCF) is proud to partner with Lilly Endowment Inc. to select one Shelby County high school senior as a nominee for the 2023 Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program (LECSP). Independent Colleges of Indiana on behalf of Lilly Endowment Inc. will make final scholarship selections and notify BRCF of their decision by December 8, 2022. BRCF will notify the recipient of the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship no later than December 20, 2022. The Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program is designed to:
- to help raise the level of educational attainment in Indiana
- to increase awareness of the beneficial roles Indiana community foundations can play in their communities
- to encourage and support the efforts of current and past Lilly Endowment Community Scholars to engage with each other and with Indiana business, governmental, educational, nonprofit, and civic leaders to improve the quality of life in Indiana generally and in local communities throughout the state.
The scholarship provides full tuition, required fees, and a special allocation of up to $900 per year for required books and required equipment for four years of undergraduate study on a full-time basis, leading to a baccalaureate degree at any Indiana public or private college or university accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Minimum requirements that must be met for consideration include:
- Reside in Shelby County
- Graduate by the end of June with a diploma from a regionally accredited Indiana High School
- Intend to pursue a full-time baccalaureate course of study at an accredited public or private college or university in Indiana
- Demonstrate the following:
- Participation in community activities
- Leadership skills in school, community, and/or extracurricular activities
- Commitment to academics and ability to succeed at the next level
- Must have a minimum 3.5 GPA and a minimum 1100 total score on SAT or ACT equivalent
Lilly Endowment created LECSP in 1998 and has supported the program every year since with tuition grants totaling more than $425 million. Over 5,100 Indiana students have received Lilly Endowment Community Scholarships since the program’s inception; including 41 Shelby County recipients.
BRCF Scholarship Program
Blue River Community Foundation (BRCF) administers over 92 scholarship funds established by caring and generous donors who are passionate about supporting students as they pursue their post- secondary educational goals. During the most recent cohort, BRCF administered funds awarded 190 scholarships to 134 students for a combined total over $439,000. High school applicants who complete the summer cycle application in full are considered for all scholarships administered by BRCF for which they are eligible.
Current college students and nontraditional students are encouraged to apply for BRCF scholarships during the Foundation’s winter scholarship cycle which opens November 1, 2022, for the 2023-2024 academic year. High school students not applying during the summer application cycle may also apply during the winter cycle; however, they will not be considered the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship.
For a complete list of these scholarship funds,
please visit the Foundation's website, www.blueriverfoundation.com
or BRCF’s Scholarship Resource Guide.
For more information about the summer scholarship application cycle, contact Julie Alvis, Communications and Scholarships Director, at 317.392.7955 ext. 102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRCF Contact Information:
Julie Alvis, Communications & Scholarships Director
p: 317.392.7955 ext. 102